Just like all appliances with water heating elements, calcium deposits or mineral may build up after the water evaporates. The scale is non-toxic, but if left unattended, can hinder appliances’ performance. Descaling your Wabi Baby sterilizer when needed helps maintain and extend the lifetime of the heating element. Depending on the mineral content of your water, calcium deposits may build up faster, making it necessary to descale more often.
TIP: The mineral content of water varies greatly by region, so we always recommend using distilled water to slow down scale buildup.
When you see white sandy buildup or white dry water spots on your feeding gears, its a good indication that it's time for descaling.
NOTE: Do not use harsh abrasives or cleaning agents (such as bleach) or a scouring pad to clean the Heating Plate or allow them to come into contact with the unit. They can cause serious damage.
Step 1: Choose the desired method
**IMPORTANT** Prolong exposure to the acidic ingredients may cause pitting, rusting or dullness to the heating plate. Avoid prolong submerging and complete removal of any remaining cleaning solution is very critical.
METHOD 1 - USING DESCALING MODE
Only available on the PLUS models and for use with food-grade citric acid
- Pour about 100ml distilled water onto the Heating Plate, enough cover the entire rim, but do not exceed the maximum level.
- Add 1 teaspoon of citric acid powder to the water.
- Place the Chamber on the Electric Base Unit, then close the Lid. Please make sure that no other items are inside the Chamber.
- Press DESCALING button. No-scrub descaling with citric acid.
- The descaling mode takes 35 minutes—5 minutes of heating the citric acid to activate the cleaning agent and 30 minutes of submerging to soften the minerals.
- When the cycle is finished, the unit will beep 3 times.
METHOD 2 - UNPLUGGED DESCALING WITH VINEGAR OR CITRIC ACID
Model: All current and previous model.
- Unplug the unit.
- Dry any remaining water from the Heating Plate with a clean towel.
- Choose one of the following, make sure the chosen solution covers the entire rim; do not exceed the maximum level.
- a. Distilled white vinegar.
b. Distilled water and add one teaspoon of citric acid powder.
- a. Distilled white vinegar.
- Leave the solution in the Heating Plate for a no longer than one hour.
- Use a clean towel to absorb the white vinegar until dry. A dedicated soft toothbrush may be used to clean stubborn buildup on the Heating Plate.
- Repeat steps 2-5 if necessary.
Step 2 - Fresh Water Rinse
To avoid burns, please be sure that the water has cooled down.
- Pour out the cleaning solution in the direction of the arrow on the base unit. Do NOT let water get into the air vent.
- Use a measuring cup to fill the heating plate with more fresh water. Do NOT let water get into the air vent.
- Repeat step 1 & 2 until no cleaning solution remaining.
- Wipe the entire base unit with a clean damp towel on the body and heating plate once again, the dry with a clean towel.
Step 3 - Clean the air filter
The dust on the air filter may decrease the drying efficiency. When you notice the feeding gears are not drying as well, this usually is the cause.
- slide out the air filter piece on the bottom of the base unit.
- Use water and brush to clean the dust.
- Dry with clean paper towel.
- Slide it back to the place.