Just like all appliances with water heating elements, calcium deposits or
scale may build up after the water evaporates. Scale is non-toxic, but if left EN unattended, can hinder appliances’ performance. Descaling your Wabi Baby
sterilizer when needed helps maintain and extend the life time of the heatingh
element. Depending on the mineral content of your water, calcium deposits may
build up faster, making it necessary to descale more often.
TIP: The mineral content of water varies greatly by region, so we always recommend using distilled water to slow down scale buildup.
Step 1: Choose one of the following method depeding on your model and preference.
METHOD 1 - USING DESCALING MODE
PLUS Models only: WA-8810N, WA-8811N
Only available on the PLUS models and for use with food-grade citric acid
- Pour about 100 ml distilled water onto the Heating Plate, enough cover the entire rim, but do not exceed the maximum level.
- Add 1 teaspoon of citric acid powder to the water.
- Place the Chamber on the Electric Base Unit, then close the Lid. Please make sure that no other items are inside the Chamber.
- DESCALING No-scrub descaling with citric acid.
- The descaling mode takes 35 minutes—5 minutes of heating the cleaning solution and 30 minutes of cooling.
- When the cycle is finished, the unit will beep 3 times.
METHOD 2 - UNPLUGGED DESCALING WITH VINEGAR OR CITRIC ACID
Model: All current and previous model.
- Unplug the unit.
- Dry any remaining water from the Heating Plate with a clean towel.
- Choose one of the following, make sure the chosen solution covers the entire rim; do not exceed the maximum level.
- a. Pour 100 ml distilled white vinegar onto the Heating Plate.
- b. Pour about 100ml of distilled water onto heating plate. Add 1 teaspoon of food grad citric acid.
- Leave the solution in the Heating Plate for a minimum of one hour or until the scale has dissolved.
- Use a clean towel to absorb the white vinegar until dry. A dedicated soft toothbrush may be used to clean stubborn buildup on the Heating Plate.
NOTE: Do not use harsh abrasives or cleaning agents (such as bleach) or a scouring pad to clean the Heating Plate or allow them to come into contact with the unit. They can cause serious damage.
- Repeat steps 2-5 if necessary.
Step 2 - Rinse
FRESH WATER RINSE
To avoid burns, please be sure that the water has cooled down.
- Use a clean towel to absorb all cleaning solution until dry. A dedicated soft toothbrush may be used to clean stubborn buildup on the Heating Plate.
- Fill the Measuring Cup with 100 ml water.
- Use a clean towel to absorb all water until dry.
- Wipe the Heating Plate with a clean damp towel until no cleaning solution remains.
- Dry the Heating Plate completely with a clean towel.
- The sterilizer is now ready for regular use.